The Uncle had quite a Grand Adventure this summer! He travelled all over the states, got incarcerated at Alcatraz, visited the Grand Canyon, went to Mount Rushmore (twice!), and visited so many other exciting and historic places within America.
The Uncle bravely visited many overseas locations as well! He went to the Sydney Opera House, Hong Kong, the ancient vestiges of Jerusalem, London, Peru, the beautiful Icebergs of Iceland, and so many other iconic locations.
We have chosen six photographers from his travels to be awarded a $100 gift card each.
1) For taking the Uncle further than he’d ever travelled before (over nine thousand miles), we send our congratulations to Jason L.! He photographed the Uncle relaxing and playing Ticket to Ride Africa in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Africa.
2) For documenting the Uncle meeting the famous Danielle Bradbery, we send our congratulations out to Shannon D.!
3) Our congratulations to Doris S.! She photographed the Uncle in a place so beautiful (Iceberg Lagoon, Iceland), we have trouble getting him to stop talking about it.
4) For masterfully capturing the Uncle’s reflection in a historic location we would like to congratulate Sara R.!
5) For creatively photographing the Uncle mimicking Iron Man in Randy’s Donut, we send out our congratulations to Donald B.!
6) For shear inconceivable geek value, we send our congratulations to photographer Chloe D. for her picture of the Uncle taking in the view of the Cliffs of Insanity!
We would like to thank everyone that participated in this contest. We had over 70 entries and enjoyed pouring through all of them!
Summer time is here and we wanted to share some of our favorite summertime activities and games. While sitting down with the family to play a traditional board or card game is always fun, we have plenty of outdoor favorites. We wanted to share one of our newest favorites. This summer we are happy to carry Disc Golf discs. Think Frisbee and golf combined. A variety of discs, from drivers to putters allow you to have the distance or control you need to make your way through any course in a record number of tosses. The goal is to make it from the tee to the hole, marked by a basket with chains that help catch your disc. While optimal play is achieved with each player using their own set of discs, a group can mark where a disc lands to allow multiple people to play off the same set of discs. This helps make the Disc Golf both a fun outdoor activity and budget conscious choice for summer fun.
Spokane actually has a good number of fun quality courses to play on for free. If you go to www.dgcoursereview.com or http://www.pdga.com/ you can look up local courses in our area as well as read reviews about the courses and see which ones cost money and which are free. From water hazards, to trees our local courses offer a lot fun experiences. Many courses are next to or part of parks and recreational areas, making them ideal for weekend adventures.
In terms of discs, there are a variety of discs that one can use. The most basic configuration is three discs, one for long tosses, on for medium approaches, and a short range precise disc to round out the selection. Five or more discs are not uncommon, but a set of three is generally sufficient when learning to play. We carry several Aerobie disc gold discs that will allow you to put together a customized set of discs suited to your needs and desires.
Summer is fun and we hope you have as much fun as we do with Disc Golf!
Uncle’s Games – Spokane is expanding! To better serve our customers we are expanding both our inventory and our gaming area. Once our remodel is finished, we will have 30 seats available for events every day. In addition, we will have the capacity to book space in our building for even larger events. This means that we will be holding bigger, better, and more comfortable events for everyone! Not only will we have an improved gaming space, but we will also have an expanded selection of great games.
To facilitate the remodel we will need to suspend our events for roughly a week starting on Tuesday June 11th. Like a super hero coiled before a dramatic leap, we will be contracting before exploding into action. By Saturday June 15th we will return to our regularly scheduled event schedule in a temporary gaming space. During the construction we apologize for any dust or noise, but we are excited to present everyone with our improved space when the work is done.
When the construction is completed, we will celebrate by holding both a Magic the Gathering and a board gaming even. We look forward to sharing the progress of the remodel and the details of the grand reopening events over the next few weeks. Stay tuned to our Spokane Store Facebook page for updates!
The first photos are in! You’ve received our Uncle’s Grand Adventure card at your local Uncle’s Games and have already begun taking vacations and awesome photos. Keep them rolling in!
We’ll be uploading these pictures (and more) to our contest page soon. Who will win? Only time will tell!
International Tabletop was awesome! Our stores wracked up a combined total of over 500 people! The publishers and designers told me that they had a blast showing off their games. We saw the excitement of this event build as all of our stores had people showing up early to play games with random strangers.
We hope you had a blast on Saturday, and if you didn’t make it out this year, make sure to come by next year as this event is only going to get more awesome!
Make sure to check out our gallery of photos from the events: Tabletop Day Photo Gallery
Here’s a brief video from some of our publisher/designer friends that travelled to a bunch of different locations on Tabletop Day (skip to 4:50 to see Uncle’s):
This Saturday, March 30th, is International Tabletop Day. It’s a day where you can play games with your family and friends, eat free food, and relax in a friendly environment. We will have industry professionals (Game Designers & Publishers) teaching their games throughout the day.
For more information watch this short video from Grant Imahara (Myth Busters) and check out our webpage for Tabletop Day.
It’s going to be a blast!
This coming Saturday marks our fourth year running the Settlers of Catan State Championship. Many of you have had the opportunity to participate in one of these exciting events and you know just how much fun they are. For those of you that haven’t, now is your chance!
Each of our stores will be running one Qualifier tournament (consisting of four exciting rounds of Settlers). The winner of each Qualifier will be eligible to play the State Championship.
What are the prizes? you may be asking yourself. Well, the grand prize is a trip to Gencon to play in Nationals. But we give out all kinds of prizes during the tournaments, including: Gift Cards, Settler’s swag, and other awesome things!
When is it going to be? For the answer to this question and many more, visit our Settlers Tournament Page.
I’ll see you at the finals!
Win a $50 Gift Card for you and/or a Pizza Party for your store!
Uncle’s Games is proud to bring you our first Facebook Competition. By voting in our poll and/or liking your favorite store’s page you could win a $50 Gift Card.
How to win:
Step 1) Visit our poll at Uncle’s Games Facebook Page.
Step 2) Vote for your favorite store.
Step 3) Head over to your favorite store’s page and click “like.”
Uncle’s Games Bellevue
Uncle’s Games Redmond
Uncle’s Games Spokane
Uncle’s Games Spokane Valley
What are the prizes?
1) One person who participates in the poll will be randomly selected to receive a $50 Gift Card.
2) The store with the most votes will get a Pizza Party for their next game night. One person at their game night will be randomly selected to receive a $50 Gift Card.
3) The store with the most new likes over the course of the week (2-13-13 through 2-19-13) will get a Pizza Party for their next game night. One person at their game night will be randomly selected to receive a $50 Gift Card.
Uncle’s Games has a new look!
We’ve gone through a transition from the old 1990′s webpage look to (hopefully) a 21st century webpage design!
Our new look comes complete with some new features, which include:
- Slider Images – complete with links the the indicated page!
- Larger Images!
- New Geeky Content!
- Commenting Capability – You can now let us know what you think by commenting on our posts!
- Imbedded Twitter – Constant updates from our Twitter Account.
- Mobile Platform – Get out your smart phones, this site is mobile. No, seriously, get out your smart phone & check it out!
- Better Events page URL’s (example: unclesgames.com/storename/events)
- And so much more!
Let us know your thoughts below. (Or to the left if you’re on the main page and not the post page… technicalities…)